Trent Walter is an artist, printer and publisher interested in the intersection of contemporary art and printed matter. In his artwork, Walter combines multiple readymade sources (textual, pictorial and/or sculptural) to explore narrative, history and intersecting time. His
workshops reanimate archives through community based screenprinting workshops. Walter was joint recipient, with Brook Andrew, of the 2013–14 Georges Mora Foundation Fellowship, for the project Dual/Duel.
Through his studio, Negative Press, Walter commissions artists to create projects made through the lens of expanded print practices. Negative Press commissions three editions annually and also works on print projects commissioned by artists and cultural institutions. Recent projects include artists' books by Elizabeth Newman and Rose Nolan, Anna Ephraim’s series of screenprints Lake Eyre 2015 and Stuart Ringholt's Untitled 2014, which was pasted up on the streets of Melbourne during February 2014 and exhibited at Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane, as part of Ringholt’s survey exhibition Kraft; as well as two major projects made with Emily Floyd, Ripple 2013–14 and Solve Your Personal Problems Socially 2014.
- 2004–05 Graduate Diploma (Editing and Publishing)
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- 2000–02 Bachelor of Fine Art (Printmaking)
Victorian College of the Arts
- 2009–present Director. Negative Press
Projects include: Stuart Ringholt, Emily Floyd, Elizabeth Newman, Rose Nolan, Brook Andrew, Sally Smart, and Emily Ferretti.
- 2011–present Sessional Lecturer in Printmedia and Artist’s Books, Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture, Monash University.
- 2007–present Production and Installation Manager, Brook Andrew Studio
- mountain home – dhirrayn ngurang (2012) Urada, Japan
- Theme Park (2008) Museum of contemporary Aboriginal Art. Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Come into the light (2007) Tolarno Galleries, Melbourne
- 2009–11 Contributing writer to unmagazine, Australian Art Review, Art Monthly Australia and IMPRINT.
- 2007–08 Senior Printer. Singapore Tyler Print Institute.
Projects: Anju Dodiya, Qiu Zhijie, Chu Ek Kay, Sunaryo, Lin TianMiao, Ghada Amer and Reza Farkhondeh.
- 2006–07 Workshop Manager. Northern Editions, Darwin.
Projects: Jilamara Arts & Craft, Melville Island, Northern Territory, Warlayirti Artists, Balgo, Western Australia & Marina Strocchi and Wayne Eager.
Solo and two person exhibitions
- 2016 Portrait, Bus Projects, Melbourne
- 2013 Inside the Island (with Marian Crawford), c3 Contemporary Art Space, Melbourne
- 2016 If People Powered Radio: 40 Years of 3CR, Gertrude Contemporary, Melbourne
Broadcast, RMIT School of Art Lightscapes, Rodda Lane, Melbourne
- 2015 On Air, Dunedin School of Art, Otago Polytechnic
- Cutting Mirrors, c3 Contemporary Art Space, Melbourne
- 2014 Dexterity, Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville
- Community & Context, MADA Gallery, Monash Univeristy
- Fremantle Print Award, Fremantle Art Centre
- Anna Zagala, We’re All In This Together in Community and Context exhibition catalogue, MADA Gallery, Monash University, 2013
- Sue Forster, IMPACT 7 Speakers Preview – Brook Andrew and Trent Walter, IMPRINT, Volume 46, Number 3, Print Council of Australia, 2011, pp. 16–17
- Marguerite Brown & Jackie Hocking, The Artist, The Printer, The Publisher, IMPRINT, Volume 45 Number 1, Print Council of Australia, 2010, pp. 20-1
Awards & Fellowships
- 2013 Georges Mora Foundation Fellowship
(co-recipient with Brook Andrew)
- 2002 National Gallery of Victoria Trustees Award
- 2015 Dunedin School of Art, Otago Polytechnic
- 2014 Umbrella Contemporary Arts/PressNorth Printmakers, Townsville
- Monash University, Art Design and Architecture, Melbourne
- Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville
- 2013–14 Victorian College of the Arts
- 2011 IMPACT 7, Keynote Speaker with Brook Andrew
- 2010 Seika University, Kyoto.
- 2008 Monash University, Melbourne.